Blog Image

Spitfire Mark IV Restoration

The project

I´m based in Uppsala, Sweden. i have a very small garage. Luckily the 1971 Triumph Spitfire Mark IV I will restore is also quite small. I will here document the work I do. mainly for my self but you are welcome to follow my work.

15/10 Windshield

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 18:49:17

I finished this day by taking out the window. I did that by just cutting the rubber lining. I will buy a new one later on. A lot of rust at the beginning of the A-pillar in the body especially on the left side. Also removed some of the interior mats that was glued in place. All in all quite a good day. Noticed that the floor panel on the left side are quite new, but not on the right side. The doors, more interior mats, gear lever covering and dash are the next step. There have been more rust than I expected and I now there will be more when I start working on the doors. It is great fun. This car is built so different compared to the BMW Z3 I had and is very fun to work on in a nearly boyish way.



15/10 Tank and other stuff

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 17:27:55

I’m now in sync on the blog. Today I emptied the tank, removed it and did some other small things. The tak is not in a very good shape. perhaps I will buy a new. It did not have any evacuation system which I find strange. There are three speakers in the back, none of which had any wiring going to them. I see a lot of old welding but nothing that looks too scary at this point. The car is now a see-trough car!



Blogg 6 Front & chairs

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:59:24


Of course there is a lot of broken plastics. The wiring is a bit artistic.

An interesting weld. The car possibly have been in a crash. This was not beutiful and not really accurate. Will look into that when I have the frame free.
The top went off. Quite easy. Two bolts in the rear and then it should be a matter about pop rivets in the front, but it wasn’t. It was just glued on. Off it went to storage along with the structure.

The inside of the chairs where like bread crumbs. They will need both new foam, cardboard and skin. Otherwise they were mechanically sound. They will be stored until all other is fixed…



Blogg 5 The Bonnet goes off

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:56:33

Took off the bonnet. Some bad paint work. Oh did I say that? The whole of the car is a bit bubbly. Most of it was originally red with the bonnet end the trunk lid having been yellow. But obviously this part has been red…

The bonnet lifted with my small hoist.

I fins bad welding everywhere. This is on the bonnet support arm.



Blogg 4 The trunk.

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:51:51

Strange wiring. A leaking tank. I don’t know the extent of the rust in the trunk. I find strange weldings around the wheel arches. The car have been restored at some point but rather carelessly.



Blogg 3

Removing things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:48:33

I started preparing for a total frame off restoration.


Starting with the rear lights. They need restoration and the wiring doesn’t look to nice.


The first obvious rust issue is found around the bumber mounts. Many more will of course follow.



Blogg 2

Very many things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:45:06

Just so you get an image on what it looked like. It is not a 1500…




Work started

Very many things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:39:52

Tha car in the garage. It has been standing in Denmark for 12 years before the PO bought it. He had a friend who updated engine parts and the front suspension but then things happened and he sold it. It runs ok. We’ll see what we find when we start to break it down.