Blog Image

Spitfire Mark IV Restoration

The project

I´m based in Uppsala, Sweden. i have a very small garage. Luckily the 1971 Triumph Spitfire Mark IV I will restore is also quite small. I will here document the work I do. mainly for my self but you are welcome to follow my work.

Wheels and christmas tree

Very many things Posted on Mon, November 27, 2017 22:20:21

Very dark, but I made a small thing with wheels so the welder is more mobile.
I also lost temper with the rear suspension after trying everything in my book and just cut it out.
You can see my trials here. I welded a piece of steel to the bolt and still couldn’t get it out.
And finally I made a small Christmas tree to a friend…



Rust, anti-roll bar and brake lines

Very many things Posted on Sun, November 19, 2017 19:52:18

Due to a lack of welding gas this day’s work was spent on cleaning up things. The brake lines were marked and removed.


Then the front anti roll bar was removed.The position for the new passenger side floor was marked and measured.
It will be interesting to see the amount of rust on the frame when I get to that. Mostly the parts that I have been able to inspect is OK. The front outrigger is a bit rusty. I will have top remove all rust to assess it properly.
Samuel helped me to start clean up the trunk floor. Patches need to be replaced and I have a repair panel for the rear valence.
Rust and holes.
But this is actually one of the most interesting findings. All the filler that mask the lines of the car. I will probably have to replace both the rear quarter panels to get it to look Ok. Got disappointed at first but now that I have accepted it I look forward to seeing the car with the intended lines.



16/10 tank & interior

Very many things Posted on Mon, October 16, 2017 20:38:11

I don’t have much time during weekdays. Today I emptied and tested the tank for leaks. The only I could find was where I supposed it was. By the fuel meter sender unit. That means I will use this tank, just clean it up and get a new gasket for the sender unit.
Also removed the safety belts and the handbrake lever.
And then into the brain of the thing. Started by removing the central panel on the dash. Always exciting what you will find!
Not to bad though. It is amazing that these rusty old instruments still are working. Perhaps I will just restore them. I also think of just sanding down the dash panels and line them with new veneer. The hazard light lamp was not connected to anything.
The same goes for the red (to the left of the radio) and the blue (to the right) I have no clue at all to what they were supposed to indicate from the beginning. I am not sure I will want to have a radio in the car whatsoever. Radio in an open sports car is kind of a waste of space.
That was it for tonight!



Blogg 2

Very many things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:45:06

Just so you get an image on what it looked like. It is not a 1500…




Work started

Very many things Posted on Sun, October 15, 2017 14:39:52

Tha car in the garage. It has been standing in Denmark for 12 years before the PO bought it. He had a friend who updated engine parts and the front suspension but then things happened and he sold it. It runs ok. We’ll see what we find when we start to break it down.